Sunday, December 20, 2009

Bandhas









Yet again, the Maoists are putting Kathmandu to a halt with a 3 day strike. For kids it is a play day. For those with businesses its a burden and a financial stress. As I was walking home this morning, I ran into a Nepali friend, Babu, on the streets and he asked me to come and drink Chang, a Tibetan alcoholic drink...barley seeped in hot water. It was early, but it was Sunday, so I figured there was nothing else I really needed to do...hahaha
We ate, drank, and listened to Hindi music. Babu is like my Nepali brother who I met on my trek to Helambu. He kindness is incredible. During bhandas, there isnt that much to do but dodge the Moaists and walk the empty streets and relax. The city feels as though its in hiding. The Maoists patrol the roads, chasing down those who attempt to even ride their bicycles as a mode of transportation. Tomorrow, my boss is trying to convince me to "put my hiking shoes" on and walk to work. Somehow he thinks it will be worthwhile for me to walk the two hours each way just to make it to the office....

No comments:

Post a Comment